top of page
Suburb Neighborhood

Tenant Rights and Housing Counseling 

 It is important to know your rights as a tenant. This includes knowing your fair housing rights when looking for a place to rent and what protections you are entitled to when facing eviction. If you are having issues with your landlord, mediation services are available. Explore the resources below for help with housing discrimination and resolving landlord-tenant issues.


For an eviction to be legal, it must go through the court. Check out an example timeline of an eviction case.

If you have already received an eviction notice, make sure you are connected to legal services.

If you have believe you have been discriminated against, use these resources to make a complaint.

This agency is dedicated towards advocating for fair housing across the island. They provide free counseling services for landlord-tenant issues related to eviction and fair housing. Their website has a wealth of information on tenant rights, fair housing, scams to look out for when seeking to rent, and more. 


Nassau: 516-292-0400

Suffolk: 631-567-5111

These Dispute Resolution Centers are conflict resolution programs that provide mediation services in landlord-tenant matters and other interpersonal or community disputes. Most services are free of charge.

Nassau: 516-489-7733 ext.165

Suffolk: 631-265-0490 ext. 203

This organization provides free information and counseling on the rights and responsibilities of those involved in landlord-tenant disputes. Programs include: 

Tenant counseling - assistance finding apartments, information and referral for rent assistance, explaining evictions, referrals to free legal services

First time home buyer counseling

Foreclosure prevention

Credit education & debt reduction

Fill out their online intake form here.

Certified housing counselors are available to help families avoid evictions and homelessness by helping to improve budgeting skills. They also provide information on how to negotiate mortgages. 



Provides housing counseling to residents of towns on the North Fork of Long Island (Riverhead, Greenport, Jamesport, etc.)



This division provides information on fair housing law and a way to file complaints about housing discrimination. 

Call: 1-888-392-3644

HELP USA Project Anchor

Project Anchor can help those currently in landlord-tenant court or are at risk of eviction due to overdue rent. Their free services include case management, advocacy, referral for legal assistance, landlord-tenant mediation, and more. 

Call: 631-854-9984

The Economic Opportunity Commission of Nassau runs 5 family development centers that can provide help with eviction intervention and emergency housing assistance. 

Freeport: 516-379-4000

Glen Cove: 516-676-4958

Hempstead: 516-489-2800

Port Washington: 516-883-3201

Rockville Centre: 516-764-4500

Roosevelt: 516-546-6121

Provides housing counseling



Provides housing counseling to residents of the Town of Babylon


Sondra Cochran 



 New York State Division of Human Rights

If you believe you have been discriminated against, you can file a complaint with New York State within one year of the event. 

Make a discrimination complaint in Suffolk County

Long Island Housing Services

Marian Reid Attorney – 631-567-5111 Ext 312

bottom of page